Friday, December 2, 2011

Art Laffin Letters from Italy, No. 2


Rome, Italy

Dearest Family and Friends,

I hope and pray you are well. I write from Rome where I arrived this morning and then gave a talk at a local school. Since last writing much has happened. I have given eleve talks and have spoken to over 2,400 people, mostly students. I also had a chance to visit and attend Mass at the famous Basilica in Padova where the great 13th century Franciscan St. Anthony's remains are entombed. On Wednesday, November 30, the big international "Cities for Life Day" to end the death penalty organized by the Community of Sant'Egidio (CSE)

I spoke at four different events in Padova, including two talks to 1,200 students.

In addition to spending several days in Padova, I also visited Mestre, Piove Di Sacco, and Livorno. The welcome I have recieved has been extraordinary. Last night i spoke at St. John the Baptist Church in Livorno which is right near the Mediterannean Sea. This church was the only church in the area that was not bombed during WWII. Most of Livorno was destroyed by US and British bombings in an effort to crush the Nazis, but countless innocent Italians died in the process. Many of the elderly who survived the bombings have not publicly spoken for decades about what happened. Ten years ago the CSE, upon befriending some of the elderly during their visits to nursing homes, learned of the bombings and have taken numerous testimonies from the survivors.  For the last ten years, on May 28, there has been a public witness in Livorno to remember the victims and to pray for an end to the wars taking place around the world.

Over 150 people, from over 15 different countries, were present at the church for my sharing, which took place right before the beautiful evening prayer of the CSE. During my reflection, as I remembered my murdered brother, and Dennis Soutar who killed him, I prayed for all victims and people worldwide who have had members of their family murdered. I also prayed for healing for all those in Livorno who suffered, and continue to suffer, because of the bombings. The response I received afterwards from the old and young alike was deeply moving. A sumptuous feast followed with a small group of my new-found friends of Livorno.

It has been truly a gift to have the opportunity to meet so many new friends here in Italy, and to work together to try to create a just, nonviolent world. In this Advent time, we cannot repeat enough the hope and promise of the Gospel that with God all things are possible!

Over the weekend I hope to visit Assisi and then I will travel to the north of Italy to give a final talk in Treviso. The Journey of Hope in Italy continues. I hold you all in prayer and heart.

With love and gratitude,

Art Laffin




Dorothy Day CW House
503 Rock Creek Church Road, NW | Washington, D.C. 20010
Phone: 202.882.9649 or 202.829.7625

No comments:

Post a Comment